Sunday 29 September 2013

DIY Winter Bird Seed Feeders

I can't stand to think of the little birds that hop around my garden going hungry in the upcoming colder months. Not many people these days put food out for the local wild life and I think it's really important more people think about doing this!

I have always put stale bread crumbs out in the garden and also apple chopped up that was past it's edible-ness (totally just made up a word there but I think it works) birds go crazy for it! Obviously my garden doesn't look like a tip, I just scatter them over the grass and its usually all gone the next day.

I was looking for a 'recipe' to make DIY bird seed feeders so that I can hang something pretty in the garden but will also be substantial for the birds in Winter as their food sources are substantially reduced. When Benjamin is a bit older to understand, I can't wait to make these with him and teach him the importance of doing so.

Following on from the other day's Christmas post, these will be perfect for any gardening enthusiast or in a gardening hamper. A couple in a cellophane with some twine to tie it together, et voila. They could even be wedding favours for nature lovers! That might sound far fetched but there is something appealing about a wedding favour that won't just go into landfill.





1) Measure out 400g bird seed.
2) Make up the 20g gelatine as per your packet instructions. For the powder version which I used, I made up 200ml hot water NOT boiling water. Never boiling. And added 20g of gelatine powder (2 x sachets), mixed until dissolved. If you choose to use the gelatine sheet, soak in 100ml hot water and leave to cool. Then pour this mixture into a saucepan containing 100ml water and heat until dissolved. I repeat do not boil!
3) Add gelatine mix to the bird seed and mix well. Leave until cooled.
4) Line a baking tray or pie dish or anything you have handy with tin foil or baking parchment. You may want to grease inside the assortment of cookie cutters but I didn't. Then place them on the tray.
5) Scoop the mixture into each cookie cutter and place a chopped piece of straw into each as this will be the hole to hang the feeder up.
6) Either freeze for 90 minutes, or leave in the fridge for a couple of hours or leave over night. I left mine in the fridge over night to make sure it was really set.
7) Loop pieces of string/twine/ribbon through the holes and then hang out for the birds to enjoy!





It is so simple and I hope you will enjoy the rewards. I picked up a 'Birds of Britain and Ireland' book from a car boot for 10p and I like to spot which species fly into our garden. Ben loves it when a bird starts pecking at the food we leave out and it is the beginning of a strong love for nature I hope.

I urge you to give this one a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment