Thursday 5 September 2013

Calverton Carboot

How early did the darkness creep upon us this evening? I'm sure it won't be long before we are putting those clocks back a notch. I have just taken a few pictures of my carboot bargains and the lighting was abysmal so please excuse the poor quality.



It was a midweek carboot in Calverton, it has only been running 5 weeks so I wasn't sure what to expect. However, we arrived and it was bustling, there were queues to the entrance and the stalls were set back as far as I could see in this huge strawberry field. Obviously the strawberries weren't there anymore, darn it.

Me and my mum began our search and I began to feel disheartened as there was initially a lot of tat. What with Benjamin playing up, the sun beating down on us resulting in (mild) perspiration and lugging the pram up and down the strawberry field (not the easiest of terrain) I couldn't be bothered to look that much. I don't know about you and I don't want to sound snobbish but I tend to look at the sellers before I actually purchase something, I like to know the item has come from a well looked after home and not just bought and sold on by some dodgy trader.

Eventually, near the back of the carboot we found a couple of gems. The first was a grandma who was selling a lot of her grandchildren's items and they were in pristine condition, clearly not used often. She had the table and two chairs. It was perfect and just what I've been looking at getting for Ben's upcoming second birthday. We were going to be paying £25-£30 for the set I'd seen and I bartered this down to £7 which I was very happy to pay. My mum also bought a Lindam Bed Rail, which was in all its original packaging for £6.

The next stall was a mum and daughter and the daughter was around my age having a clear out of her wardrobe and everything was 50p. I bought the above top which is from Topshop. It's a short sleeved knit with floral pattern all over but I thought it would be perfect for the Autumn season with a pair of black jeans and pumps. I also bought a pair of white Mango shorts, planning ahead for next Summer, and a burnt orange dress. Sounds horrid and my camera would not take a picture which would do it justice but it will also be perfect for Autumn. And for 50p each!?
I'm hoping to go again in a couple of weeks. On my carboot wish list I want:
  • DVD's - Pixar Cars/UP/Despicable Me/Sex and the City Box Set - Is this wishful thinking?
  • Kitchen Items - large casserole dishes with lids, ramekins etc
  • Toys for Ben
  • A bedside lamp for Ben
I then visited my grandad, came home and hoovered the house, cleaned the bathroom, made a batch of soup, did the ironing and then made this bad boy of a dinner. I served it with mustard mash. Recipe here.


Now I realise it looks like I have soaked them in oil but there is also balsamic vinegar and honey in there too. I'm not that unhealthy I promise. From this picture it also looks like I need to clean my oven door. Oops.

Now I feel I deserve to flop in bed as I have 3 days of work ahead of me. Yes, 3 whole days, how will I cope?! Before I start work tomorrow morning I am going to be preparing a chili in the slow cooker which I can come home to after 6pm and enjoy. Mmmm...

X

No comments:

Post a Comment