Monday 16 September 2013

Skin Care Regime

Following on from yesterday's fashion post I also want to share with you my skin care regime and offer some hints and tips.

I'm trying to choose skin care products which aren't full of parabens and sulfates as I don't want to infuse my skin with these nasty chemicals. Not heard of parabens before? They are a preservative used widely in cosmetics and research has shown a link between parabens and breast cancer. They are also linked with reproductive health and there is concerns about the prevalence of puberty in young girls. This research should be enough for you to avoid parabens at all cost!
Get into the habit of checking the ingredients of a product before you buy them. Anything that says paraben and starts with methyl-, butyl-, propyl- or ethyl- steer clear.

Another ingredient to watch out for is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and you will find this in a lot of personal care products you use. It is a foaming agent and you will find it in your tooth paste, shampoo's and facial cleansers.
It didn't start out life as being acceptable for human usage as it was used in heavy duty detergents but now we find it in so many of the products we use so close to our skin and it is a very common skin irritant. Prolonged use of products containing SLS can irritate the skin and even eventually cause hair loss and blurred vision.

I am now very careful of the products I buy for our bathroom and products we all need for our skin.


On a daily basis I use Liz Earle products. Liz Earle aren't 100% organic but they are eco-friendly and contain no hazardous chemicals. They range includes plant oils and botanics rather than synthetic ingredients. Their products are safe to use, they actually work for the skin and they have a low impact on the environment.
I have used Liz Earle for a while but in between I have flitted to a few other companies. I have tried 'The Green People' Moisturiser which contains 88% certified organic ingredients and the reviews are brilliant but unfortunately on my skin it just didn't do the job.
I use the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish which comes with the muslin cloth and your skin is left feeling silky smooth. Followed by the Instant Boost Skin Tonic and then the Moisturiser my daily routine is complete. I do this morning and night.

Why do you need to cleanse?
Cleansing in the morning removes any dead skin cells which have accrued over night and cleansing in the evening removes any environmental debris or grease to strip your skin back to the base. It also opens your skin pores.

Why do you need to tone?
Toning sweeps over the open pores and double cleanses by refining and cleaning any final embedded debris or cleanser. A good toner should be anti-inflammatory and leaves the skin squeaky clean.

Why should we Moisturise?
Moisturising is the final step in the route and it is needed to nourish and hydrate the skin. As Liz Earle's moisturiser contains naturally active ingredients it leaves my skin with a happy glow.

Every other day I also use the Liz Earle Gentle Skin Exfoliator. The jojoba beads gently exfoliate my skin and buff away dead skin cells and purifies the skin. It's good to do this if you suffer from congested skin.

Twice a week I use Temple Spa's Purification Skin Mask.
A twice weekly skin mask should flush out the pores and have deep cleansing properties. It is best used in a steamy bathroom environment as the steam helps the skin absorb the mask and is most effective when left on for 10-15 minutes. This allows you much needed peace and gives you a mini spa experience in your own home. I highly recommend it!

The reason I know the importance of each step of the skin care routine is because I had a brief stint as a Temple Spa representative. Temple Spa are another great company who's philosophy is based on botanical and naturally active ingredients. I love each and every one of their products too but Liz Earle for me just has the winning post.

I am working on a collection of DIY homemade face masks etc and once they have been tried and tested I will post and let you know.

So the moral of my post is think twice about what you are putting into/onto your body!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment