Thursday 26 September 2013

Monday's TOP TIP - Don't Waste Apple

I recently got given 3 huge bags full of apples from my brother-in-law's* garden. After making a huge batch of classic apple chutney and a big apple crumble I still had mountains of apple left and it loomed over me every time I walked into my kitchen.
 
Tonight I decided to take hold! I filled a huge mixing bowl with water and squeezed the juice of one lemon into it.
 
I then cored, peeled and chopped all the apples into small chunks and left them to soak for about 5 minutes to prevent them from going brown.
 
Then I drained the apple and scooped them into containers and popped them in the freezer.
 
I now have apple to last me for the rest of my life by the looks of it. I'm thinking more apple crumbles, apple puree with cinnamon for Benjamin, maybe more chutney!
 
Another thing I do with apples that are past their best is I peel and core them and slice them into thin rings. I hook them onto a piece of bamboo in my airing cupboard and leave to dry out for 24 hours and then I have apple crisps.
If you don't fancy doing that then throw them out for the birds, they love them and need feeding in the cold months!
 
I do love the produce you get from the Autumn months and what you can make with it.
 
Do you have any non wasting apple tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment