Wednesday 25 September 2013

My County. My Derbyshire.

I dream of living in an idyllic, rustic farm house with a brick built open fire with stacks of logs beside it. I dream of living in the rolling hills where long evening and weekend walks are waiting to be had. Wellies lined up in the hallway ready for adventures. An open plan kitchen with dining room attached, perfect for entertaining, allowing me to practise my hosting skills. I dream of a garden with chickens and little corners to hide in, luscious green and blooming flowers.

Basically I dream about most of the houses in Country Home and Interiors magazine! Wow I do love that magazine. I can't believe people actually live in the most perfect houses I could only imagine one day living in.

Whilst I only have a mid terrace 2 up 2 down house, I have put my own country spin on it. I believe wherever you live, you can make your home exactly what you like. We find places to go for breezy walks and we find places to have adventures.

I have mentioned before that I follow Deb who created Fabulous Places. A collation of all the lovely things to see and do in Derbyshire. However, it's not just everything, it's everything that is home made, hand picked and wholly desirable!

I really believe in supporting your local businesses and Fabulous Places ethos is totally that!

When I go for a coffee, I don't like to just visit a chain coffee shop, I like to visit something a bit different, a one off. Or if we go out for a meal (not just lately!) but if we do, I don't like to go to the chain restaurants, I like to try new up and coming eateries and see what they have to offer. Life is all about experiences and memories.

So true.
So here is a small list of the places I love in Derbyshire so that if you are from Derbyshire or are going to be visiting Derbyshire, you may think twice about where you go.

1) The Bottlekiln - West Hallam
Set in an old converted pottery house, The Bottlekiln offers homemade food and award winning coffee. Need I say more? It has a gift shop and 'The Potting Shed' attached to the cafe which is a gardeners delight. They also support local crafts people by selling local jewellery etc. A definite thumbs up from me!

2) Jack Rabbits Kitchen - Derby (opposite the Cathedral)
Well firstly, this is not on my list just because I work there. I used to visit on numerous occasions before I worked there and it was always my favourite. Try out the breakfasts and dinners made from locally sourced meat, dairy and vegetables in the cafe or see our sister shop next door but one and order dinners either for your tea or for parties/buffets. Homemade cakes made on site and also offering actual Bakewell tart!  When the sun is shining, a seat outside opposite the Cathedral is perfect. I love working there!

3) The Apple Tree- Ockbrook
A lot smaller than I imagined but it actually adds to the overall  tea house experience. Homemade cakes and an array of trinkets and gifts, the owner ensures to source as many of the unique items from Britain. When I went I sourced a few presents and cards and I left feeling a very happy bunny!

4) Bluebells Dairy - Spondon
Everyone has heard of Bluebells Ice Cream. Nearly everywhere in Derby that sells ice cream sells Bluebells Dairy ice cream. Award winning homemade artisan ice cream made from their own cows milk. They are very creative with their range of ice creams and they services they offer. This year they had a huge sand pit created on a field in their farm, along with an outdoor ice cream cabin, swings and slides and an animal patch. Such a feel good place to take the kiddiwinks!

5) Fraiche - Saddler Gate Derby
Fraiche is actually the sister shop of The Bottlekiln and I only found this out recently. Saddler Gate is really up and coming with quirky one off shops and it is one of my favourite streets in Derby to have a meander around. Fraiche sells quirky gifts, cards, beauty products, children's items, stationary, jewellery and everything else you can think of! A girly delight! It's always my go to place for a nice card or a 'new baby' present. Slightly pricey but you are paying for quality and I don't mind investing in that.

6) Fresh Basil - Belper
A cafe and deli with something to please everyone! Cheese, sausages, bacon, olives, pate, cakes and more. I went for lunch but you have to get there early to avoid the busy spell. I urge you to try it. I visited my first time on a rainy afternoon, but the cosy cafe interior lured me in with people ooming and aahing over the deli counter.

If you, out there, reading this blog post think you may be my kindred spirit, I urge you to try these places.

Happy eating/browsing/seeing!

1 comment: