Wednesday 4 September 2013

My Light Bulb Moment

I love writing. I might not be the best at it or be grammatically perfect but I do love writing. My love for the English language is definitely growing.

Advertising for example. I love how words can be twisted into some magical form to entice the customer to part with their hard earned money. Sharp, clever slogans can sum up that particular company/service in a single sentence, sometimes even just one word.

Novels can be hundreds of pages long but some intricate story, which has been planned for months even years, is entwined within, each word chosen specifically for a purpose.

Diaries, Journals and Blogs can be an outlet, a release of feelings, thoughts and emotions. To document a particular moment in time or a significant experience such as heartbreak or elation. Scraps of thoughts and scribbles of inspiration; perhaps a quote or a famous line.

Words are the foundation of our communication, even if they can't be spoken they can be signed or written down. The English Langauge is evolving, and like everything, is it for the better? I wonder how the younger generations and even my generation will protect our language in every platform, whether written, on email, texting, or spoken. Will they adapt it to the social network phenomenom and abbreviate? And keep introducing new words to our dictionary such as 'Twerk'? (Which, by the way, I cannot believe happened!)

I personally will never tire of our langauage. I never type my texts in 'txt tlk' and my emails are always addressed appropriately. I will ensure to encourage Benjamin to read until his hearts content as I really do believe it can shape a person and give them a good start in life.

And there we have it. My light bulb moment for today!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment