Saturday 31 August 2013

Support your local community - do you?

As much as I have to budget each month I still like to try and support our local community and businesses. I also like to support British made items and home made items.

For the past year or so I have been following a Derbyshire based company called 'Fabulous Places' which is a guide to all our local shops, eateries, coffee shops, producers and services which Deb, the owner, has handpicked herself.

Everything she selects for her guide is Derbyshire born and bred, is one of a kind and Deb has tried and tested all of them.

I don't know about you but I get fed up of visiting chain restaurants and pubs, coffee houses and shops and this guide is perfect as it introduces you to places you may not have necessarily heard of or been to before. Trust me, the enticement is irresistible. So I've decided I want to work my way through the guide and visit every single place.
For example, a couple of weeks ago me and my mum had the day together and wanted to go out somewhere different for coffee and cake. I looked at the online directory and we selected The Apple Tree which was a 5 minute drive away and yet we had never discovered it ourselves!

Not only does Deb produce this guide she also holds events throughout the year at the Roundhouse College, Derby. She holds a Summer and Christmas Market, where all local exhibitors gather so you can see and buy their products/services.

Aside from this guide, I am trying to visit our local Farmer's Market, which is held once a month and if I am in town I try and visit the green grocers and butchers on the market place.

On Facebook I follow a few pages who have been set up by mum's who want to earn a living from home or young businesses just starting out and they sell their home made items/ crafts/ services and I think it is important to encourage this.

How much do you support your local community and do you think it is important too?

X

No comments:

Post a Comment