Friday 23 August 2013

My Friday Night


At 23 years old, anyone my age is usually getting ready for a night out or an evening spent with friends, after all it is a Bank Holiday weekend. There are celebrations to be had.
At work, colleagues my age tell me of their plans to travel and to see the world. To party under the moonlight and to embark on adventures all day. Other friends tell me of their career aspirations and how they see there journey's unfold.

But me? I'm all alone. Luke is on nights and Benjamin is cosy in his bed. I have no plans to travel and no plans to build a career.

Obviously before Benjamin I did. I wanted to do all of those things but having Benjamin has completely changed my perspective. It doesn't mean I have lost myself but it has made me realise what is important. Of course, one day I hope to see some more parts of the world but I want my family with me this time and yes, perhaps one day I can think about having a career again but for now I am raising my son. I don't believe in having children for other people to look after them.
And yes, I still see my friends but it is a lot harder to plan, especially with Luke being on nights. Everything has to be planned in advance.

So tonight, I am grateful to be where I am. I am so lucky to have Benjamin and there are so many exciting times ahead of us. I know I am not out partying or chilling with friends, at a bar with cocktails or seeing the latest film at the cinema (this becomes a rare occasion!) but I wouldn't change it for the world.

X

1 comment:

  1. Benjamin is one very lucky boy. You are an amazing mum.

    The time will come again for parties and cocktails, but our babies grow up so fast we need to cherish every minute.

    xx

    ReplyDelete