Friday 16 August 2013

Benjamin's Bookcase Makeover

As you know, we have been gradually doing up Benjamin's bedroom. In a flash, he has turned from being in a cot to being in his adult sized single bed and he needed a more grown up feel to his room.

Now, when Benjamin was born I didn't want to spend too much on his bedroom. I knew it wouldn't last long and he wouldn't remember any of it anyway. Near enough everything was second hand but because it is only used for a short period of time, it was all like brand new anyway! I know it is nice to have the whole Mamas and Papas range or the whole John Lewis nursery furniture collection but you can get some really nice pieces and for a lot cheaper elsewhere. You just have to browse around and use a bit of imagination.

I showed you how to make a few cheap changes here. And now I am going to show you the bookcase we have up cycled!


So this is the book case before. I spotted it in a charity shop for £30. It is solid wood and has a lovely traditional frame with lines carved either side at the front for detail. I scoured the internet for hours trying to find a reasonable priced book case that didn't just look like a box with a shelf in it. I wanted a bit of character to it but in order to get that, you have to pay a lot more money for it. I do like dark wood but it doesn't work in our small house so we decided to paint it. (Or rather Luke was ordered to paint it when I was poorly this week!)

And this is the finished book case!


I absolutely love it! Admittedly, it doesn't really fit in large books but it's only children's books that usually come in big A4 sizes! I quite like the mismatch look anyway.

We bought some white eggshell which was about £13 something and it was finished! A lovely book case which will last him for many years to come.

I hope one day that Benjamin is a big reader, I want him to read the classics and let his imagination run wild. I will definitely encourage reading as soon as he is able because I am sure once he gets a bit older he will get bored of it. Who knows.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment