Wednesday 31 July 2013

Rain Drops

There is something cosy about the rain.

Aimlessly gazing out of a window which is peppered with raindrops, watching the world and how it looks different when it is wet. Peering high into the grey cloudless sky and wondering where it has come from.

Seeing the patio furniture, lifeless and cold and imagining sunny evening dinners being enjoyed around it. The toys in the garden left suddenly, when pitter patter, quickly come inside! The washing line, still upright, looks like I am trying to dry strings of rain beads. It's hoping to be used.

I notice all of the wildlife has retreated back to their residences. The birds have flown deep into their nests to keep warm. The neighbourhood cat is taking shelter under a car. The ants stop scuttling around and crawl down into their underground colonies.

Watching the bus stop for people who, once step off, run hastily back to their warm homes. The harsh rain and the cruel wind is too much to face. Dim lights flick on and televisions begin to glow into the ever approaching evening. This time of night when the bustling activity outside begins to cease.   

My son is in bed and for the first time in a long while my lamps are on and my candles are lit. I've turned off the television to absorb the peace of this rain. 
Yes I do love the summer, but seeing this rain tonight just reminds me that I do love Autumn too. And although its not here just yet, little signs show me it's not too far away.

Courtesy of Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I don't like the rain that much. In fact, just this morning I was cursing it as I trudged without an umbrella.

    However, reading your post actually makes me feel good about the rain. Maybe it's all a matter of the point of view. Amazing writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I too forgot my umbrella so I attempted a casual jog/run when I left work yesterday afternoon. It didn't look casual at all.

    Thank you, I like your positive thinking. This point of view was when I was dry, in doors, under my roof. It can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete