Saturday 6 July 2013

A Gentleman's Sport

Wow, what a scorcher we are all having today! I am sure every single one of you are making sure you get out and absorb some of those scrumptious rays. Mmmm I can almost taste the Vitamin D!

What is wonderful about Mr Sunshine is that you can have a fun filled day out with the family at literally no cost at all. Picnics in the park, paddling pools in the garden, ice lollies and BBQ's (and if you're a big kid like me - WATER FIGHTS!) Everything is just happier when the sun is out, people seem jollier. Even just reading the news paper outside rather than slobbing on the sofa can boost your mood.

The BF is a keen cricket player and his home ground to me, is idyllic. A large open lushness of greenery backing onto the River Soar, in the quaint little village of Sutton Bonington. So today, me and Benjamin packed up his ball, some blankets, my book and a picnic and headed off to watch.


I just simply adore my picnic basket! I picked it up for £1 at a Car Boot in Willington. It was full of dirty old saucepans and had a horrible smelly lining. I promised myself I was going to reupholster it but never got round to it. It eventually got lost at the back of my wardrobe. Then, a couple of Christmas' ago, my mum gave me my newly reupholstered picnic basket full of new tupperware and complete with blanket. I was so chuffed with the result and now I use it whenever I can. So, my advice to all of you is that sometimes you need to see past the dirt and grottiness in something at a carboot/charity shop to see if a new lease of life can be brought to it.

I just filled it with crackers, cheese and pickled onions. A few bags of crisps, bananas and water and we were set to go! Everything we had already in our cupboards.



Not long after we arrived, baba fell asleep in his pram allowing me some much needed peace. I read quite a chunk out of Khaled Hosseini's new novel 'And the Mountains Echoed'. Do any of you know his work? He is such a breathtaking story teller and quite simply one of my favourite writers.

Although I do not understand cricket whatsoever (I always just nod along to the BF when he tells me about how he played) there is nothing better on a hot sunny day to relax in a little piece of heaven. That is, until...Benjamin awakes!

TTFN

X

No comments:

Post a Comment