Monday 27 January 2014

A looooong month.

Oh how I do love six week months! They drag and they drag. In fact, I reckon January goes slower than any other month.

You start off hopeful that six weeks is totally do-able. That we will put aside money for each week and that we certainly won't get to week six and be eating crumbs in the cupboards. As organised as I try to be it just doesn't happen! Ever! Something unexpected, like Luke's car needed fixing, pops up out of nowhere. Or Benjamin's playgroup request 12 weeks payment up front with 4 days notice when we believed it would be the following month
.
We told ourselves this would be a NO SPEND JANUARY. And it has been in terms of no unnecessary spending i.e. spontaneous buys, lunches out etc.

However, it is very easy to start forgetting things that we think aren't important but are. Like, I really should have a hair cut and I really ought to top up on my wardrobe. Me and Luke really should have an evening together somewhere, alone. It's so easy for all of that to get pushed aside and I know I sound materialistic but it's necessary to keep on top of things.

So for January, we knew it would be a tough, long month especially as I estimated food bills to go up slightly as I wanted to buy healthier; wholemeal instead of white, fresh berries and organic produce. (When on a budget I still try to buy healthy, wholesome food)

Things are looking positive. By doing our no spend January, we have actually been able to put that extra money in the savings account which has started us off, officially on our savings plan. We have decided to forgo January in a way so that we have things to look forward to in February. I have booked a hair appointment and me and Luke are planning something nice for Valentine's Day.

And when you think about it, there is nothing to do in January anyway so we are seeing it as a time to recharge the batteries before life gets busy again. Pyjama days and lazy Saturday mornings. It gives me time to prepare nice wholesome dinners, to 'spring' clean the house after Christmas. Luke has an exercise DVD which he is doing to get fit and we all go on winter walks in the evenings.

So now we have things to look forward to with savings in the bank. Things are looking good and I feel happy. And I am ready for some lighter mornings and evenings. Please hurry up Spring!

My Inspiration Sign!

1 comment:

  1. I completely sympathise! Longest, tightest month EVER!! x

    ReplyDelete