Monday 13 January 2014

6 Savoury Snack Ideas

In the first stages of weaning yourself off sugar you will have those moments where you feel shaky and your body is craving sugar. Most likely in the afternoon slump period where you usually opt for tea and biscuits or a chocolate bar.
Here I have collated my favourite savoury snack ideas:

Chickpea Bombs - Taken from Sarah Wilson - I Quit Sugar





1) Mix 1tbsp garam masala and 1tbsp olive oil mix together with 1 tin of chick peas.
2) Lay in a single layer on an oven tray and roast for about 30 mins at 160 fan oven. (The actual recipe says 45 minutes but mine were done in 30 mins)
3) Keep for up to one week in an airtight container. Nibble as you please.

For me, once I had made these the flavour was a bit too plain so I added some Buillon powder, some cumin and extra garam masala. They are delish.

Roasted Parsnip Chips - Sarah Wilson - I Quit Sugar

I haven't got a photo of these because we devoured what we made in one sitting.

1) Peel and chop the ends off 3 parsnips. Cut into chip like sticks.
2) Combine with unsweetened and unsalted almond butter and 1tbsp olive oil. Add sprinkle of salt.
3) Roast in pre-heated oven at 200 fan oven for 40-45 mins.

Homemade Soup

Why does soup just have to be for lunch? I like to enjoy a mugful as a snack when I get a craving. Try to use sugar free versions for example Sally Bee and Dave Pinnock - The Medicinal Chef.

Unsure as to why it is bubbly. Hmm..
3) Hard Boiled Eggs. Sounds silly but if you boil a few eggs they will keep in the fridge for around 5 days. Then when you are hungry, take one out and slice it up. Lots of protein goodness.

4) Avocado. When ripe just eat a whole avocado (obviously NOT the stone!). The benefits of avocado are wonderful.

Sourced from My Green World
I saw this not long ago and thought it was really interesting.

5) Oat Cakes and Almond Butter

Spread a thin layer of almond butter on oat cakes will create a substantial, filling snack.
Almond butter can be found in health shops.

6) Eat RAW. Sliced pepper, carrot, cucumber, celery. Dip in homemade hummus if necessary. Celery with a thin layer of unsweetened peanut butter is also yummy.

Hope these give you some inspiration on ideas to curb those sweet cravings!




No comments:

Post a Comment