Monday 30 June 2014

Cricket Widow

A poem I have wrote which I would like to share.

Every weekend he always asks me,
'come down and watch me play!
come rain or shine,
it doesn't matter,
it only lasts all day'

'Why not plan and prepare
a spectacular cricket tea?
To ensure our opposition
are green with jealousy'

He explains all the different shots,
which leaves me rather stumped.
Cut, drive and square,
I hardly care,
whilst I consider if he should be dumped.

'We need a new box of vanish' he says,
'There's stains on my knees and my bum.
If you can't get them gleaning white again
I'll take them home to my mum!'

I think his position is batsman
but it could also be bowler too.
He moans and says 'I'm better than that!
I'm an allrounder thank you!'

He calls me after his match
and begins to squeal and shout.
The baffles me when he reveals
He got 85 NOT OUT.

I love my boy dearly,
except for Saturday you see.
For that's when my boys heart
Is lost to Kegworth Town CC.

1 comment: