Wednesday 19 February 2014

Great British Sewing Bee

The second series began last night on BBC2 and it sets to be as brilliant as the first. There is a brilliant variety of contestants all with their own unique ways of accomplishing a finished item. I love the tasks they are assigned and I always think how I would tackle them myself and which fabrics I would choose.

If I could sew half as well as the contestants I would be over the moon! I've never had lessons but I've just watched youtube videos and worked from my Cath Kidston Sew book. My granddad bought my first sewing machine - a Singer Tradition. My mum has helped me along the way too but I could really do with a beginners sewing course to master the basic skills i.e. making a button hole, inserting a zip or making my own bias binding. 

I've made a basic top, cushions, bunting, door stops, lavender pomanders etc. I still haven't finished my ice cream patchwork blanket here which should have been finished for the cold months as I haven't budgeted for the fleece backing but this is now on my list for next month. I also want to make a simple skirt too and have been looking at Colette patterns. Nothing too scary, just something to settle me back into my sewing. Me and my mum were going to go halves on a pattern and share it if we like the same design.

I know it shouldn't take a programme to set me off again but it does. Life just gets in the way sometimes and the programme is a nice reminder of where my heart lies.

I know I've said it before but check out The Little Tailoress Sewing Blog - Google it - because I am actually in love with her and everything she makes. She is a very clever lady. Even if you hate the idea of sewing your own clothes she will be sure to convert you.

 
 


2 comments:

  1. Darn, I missed this! Will have to catch it next week. I've lost my sewing mojo and need something to get me back in the mood. Maybe this will be it. I'd also love a beginners sewing course, so if you find one, please let me know. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't have lost your sewing mojo as you are the sewing queen! Find it again! I will be sure to tell you if I do xx

    ReplyDelete