Sunday 17 August 2014

Our Baby Budget

I can hear what you're saying already. 'Didn't you keep everything from before?' Well the answer is yes and no so I thought I'd show you what we've had to buy again and what we've spent because as you know we're on a massive budget.

Pram

The main thing I needed was a new pram/travel system. The one I had before was old and second hand when I bought it then and it was extremely cumbersome. I always said the one thing I want next time is a better pram.

Obviously I couldn't afford a brand new pram and too be quite honest you must be mad to pay full price for some of the prams available! £500 upwards they go for! And once Ben was sitting upright I ditched the pram and bought a lightweight stroller. There are so many good quality, modern second hand prams available on eBay and Gumtree so I really recommend having a look around.

Anyway, I stumbled across an eBay advertisement for the below travel system. (Picture is from eBay and I can't enlarge it without it becoming blurry as I am a bit of a technophobe) it was the Concord Neo Pushchair and Ion Car Seat. What I liked about the set was that it came with the Neo Slider Surfboard which would be perfect for Benjamin and I was expecting to buy anyway.

The seller was asking for £100 for the lot so I popped a bid in and thought it would go up out of our price range. However we ended up winning and I was so chuffed! We drove up to pick it up and it was used by a lovely woman who had really looked after it. You know when you get a good feeling about a purchase?!

The cheapest I've found the car seat online is £65, the pram is £480 and the surfer is £80 saving us £525

 
 
Nursery Set
 
I know it's not creative of me but with lack of time and energy I thought I would invest in a nice nursery bedding/decor set. I never really bothered with Ben and his room looked a bit bland for a while so I thought I'd see what was available.
 
As much as I love all of the Mamas & Papas range, it's not feesable or sensible to pay so much for something that won't be used or appreciated by the new addition.
 
I really liked the range Olive and Henri by Babies R Us and decided to look on eBay if anyone was selling parts of the set. I think it was meant to be as I stumbled upon a grandma who was selling the entire range; uplighter, cot mattress cover, blanket, cot bed quilt, cot bumper, 3 canvas pictures, tab top curtains and tie backs for £50 and she was about a 3 mile drive away. Saving me £92 in total. Also, because it was a grandma the items were in perfect condition as the grandchild only stayed over a couple of times.
 
 
Babymel Satchel
 
This is a bit of a cheat as my mum secretly bought and had this delivered to my home as she knew it was the one I wanted. Saving me £42.
 
 
Here is what else I have been doing:
  • I spent half a day scrubbing the high chair as I didn't realise how much food and stains there were - it was filthy!
  • Luke got down from the attic all Ben's old clothes and I have washed and ironed all Newborn, 0-3 and 3-6 month babygrows.
  • I have been adding a pack of Newborn, Size 1 and 2 nappies to the shopping every so often.
  • I bought a pot of lavender essence as after I gave birth last time I had milk and lavender baths to ease the soreness.
  • I bought an Avent Bottle starter kit in a baby event at the supermarket.
  • I have been making my own few decorations and odd bits to create new items for baby.
  • I dug out the steriliser and Angel Care Monitor and checked both were working still.
What I still need to buy:
  • Baby change mat as last one ripped. Seen one in upcoming Asda Baby Event for £4
  • Breast pads, maternity pads
  • Clothes for hospital
  • Wipes and more nappies
  • ...can't think of anything else.
I just think it's about planning ahead and buying the odd thing here and there rather than all at once and leaving a big hole in your bank balance. The way I'm doing it is by adding an item into my weekly shopping, I hardly notice it. Or saving money by keeping my eye out for supermarket baby events. Buying second hand and getting creative.
 
What have you done to save money for a new arrival?
 
Linds xx
 


No comments:

Post a Comment