Saturday 16 August 2014

Carole Matthews - A Place to Call Home Review

 

Some of you will be shocked to hear that this is the first Carole Matthews book I have read. I tend to avoid chick lit but in an attempt to persuade me, my mother recommended it to me on the basis it 'had a bit more meat to it' than a regular chick lit book.

Ayesha and her daughter Sabina strike lucky by landing in a safe house after a desperate escape from her abusive husband Suresh. Sabina is now a mute after witnessing horrible attacks from her violent father onto her mother and is extremely timid due to what she has endured.

It is no ordinary safe house in that it is owned by world renowned pop star Hayden Daniels, who after his own personal tragedy confides himself to his room and barely steps outside. The house is home to two other unlikely residents; Crystal a blonde, vibrant young woman who had a brief fling with Hayden and somehow never left the home and Joy, a 70 odd year old widower who is a closed book, miserable and hides away in the only love she has - the homes garden. All three of them are a world apart but are closely bound by their share of tragedy and loss.

When Ayesha and Sabina arrive, it disturbs the routine of the home and its inhabitants however, over time, they become accustomed to Ayesha's home cooking and general kindness towards the others. Sabina, although mute, lifts the spirits of the house as she practices piano and slowly embraces her new life. We see wounds unfold and pain released in the form of new friendships and possibly romance.

Lurking back at home, Suresh the violent husband, deals in petty crime but has plans for bigger conquests such as jewellery store robbery. But his utmost priority is planning to do whatever it takes to find his wife and daughter and make them pay for leaving him and humiliating him.

After rating it a measly two star on Good Reads, I wasn't amongst the majority. I'm not used to Matthews work so cannot compare it to other books she has written.

I personally couldn't warm to the main character Ayesha. After being the victim of domestic abuse I am aware that Ayesha may be nervous, feeble and weak in new situations however even towards the end of the book her lack of confidence and continuous, almost sickly appreciation of anything anyone does starts to ware.

Trying not to sound narrow minded, but the plot was extremely predictable and this is precisely why I avoid chick lit. I had a good guess of who would fall in love, what the climax would be and that they'd all live happily ever after. And I was right!

I know books can make anything possible but the situation of the safe house being an ex famous pop stars home and the random collision of people living their was extremely surreal. I just couldn't click with the idea and thought it was too far fetched.

Nevertheless, I didn't give up on the book like I have done with some others and I wanted to complete it so that's why I gave it two stars. Something in me wanted to keep going and see these unlikely characters become happy once more.

I'm pleased Carole Matthews has a huge following and I'm glad I gave this novel a go however I just don't think her books are for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment