Wednesday 20 August 2014

Courgette-ed out - 2 genius ways to use a glut of courgettes!

It's usually this time that people who grow their own veg have a huge glut of courgettes. We haven't grown any but my mother-in-laws neighbour has had the biggest glut I've ever heard of! Basically she has had enough to feed my mother-in-law and her 5 children! I thought she would be sending me one or two but when Luke walked through the door with a bag full of about 16 courgettes my eyes nearly popped out of my head! They weren't diddy either!

Of course I didn't want them to go to waste so what was I to do with them all?

One morning, whilst he was off work, Luke helped me make 15 portions of courgette and pea soup. A recipe I use regularly from Sally Bee and the whole family enjoys. I froze most of them but gave a couple of portions to family. Aside from a couple of onions, one large bag of frozen peas and a bit of stock this was the cheapest 15 portions of soup ever.


Once I had used that up, the mother-in-law sent another bag of mini courgettes, some new potatoes and some green beans. To use the green beans and new potatoes were easy to use but I had to use my imagination for the courgettes. So I made a roasted vegetable pasta dish that we ate for lunch one day and then me and Luke took to work the next. I used up some peppers that were going past their best, threw in some pesto, cheddar and black pepper. Et voila!


It is really useful to buy and use what is in season as it is often going to be cheaper when you buy in the supermarkets.

What have you had a home grown glut of this year?

Linds xx

No comments:

Post a Comment