Monday 14 October 2013

Tight Month

We have had to budget for an awful lot this month. We have had to pay off the balance for a hotel room which we are staying in for a wedding we are going to (a total of £220 for one night *cries*), a new suit for Luke as he has lost weight and can't even get away with wearing his old one £100 and five family birthdays at £15 each totalling £75. We have hardly any money left for ourselves once our monthly bills, petrol and food are accounted for.

So when people ask me or Luke to go on a night out or go for a meal we really have to be careful. We try to balance it so that we each see our friends and also do things together when we have time. Obviously with having Ben we can't just both nip out at a moments notice.

We have both previously lived in a world where our social calender was full and we preferred spontaneous evenings rather than planned in advance, babysitter at the ready evenings. Everything in that sense changes when you have a child.

Not only that but as I have chosen to work part time it results in me having 4 days at home with Benjamin and I have had to learn to fill our time inexpensively! And as Benjamin loves to be out and about rather than stuck inside I have had to work around this without spending too much money.

So what do I do to combat this problem?
  • As the old saying goes - there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Whether it's a sunshine filled day or a gloomy dark day you can always go out for a walk. Just wrap up! It's getting cold now but me and my friend are this week, going round a local park, sticking our wellies on and filling our flasks. We are letting the kids run wild and letting their cheeks get pink. Sometimes all you have to pay for is the car park.

  • I don't have a lot of friends with children but the ones that do we sometimes take it in turn to have each other over at our homes. I get all the toys into the living room for the children and make hot drinks and a home made cake for the adults, cupcakes or biscuits for the little ones. Even if you don't have the ingredients in like I didn't last week, I nipped to Birds bakery and spent a total of £2.50 on a variety of cakes which everyone enjoyed. A very cheap but wonderful morning was had by all!
  • If I do venture out to a soft play centre I make sure I go when there is an offer on. For example, our local soft play centre has an offer on a Thursday morning where if you arrive before 10:30am you get the entry price really cheap. Or if you come on a Wednesday morning you pay the full price but receive a free coffee/tea for yourself and juice and a biscuit for your child.
  • Although Ben is getting more and more interactive we couldn't, for example, bake cakes together or play a game together as sometimes he just doesn't understand it. However, he does enjoy colouring and playing animals so we would have a morning doing this and then I would get on with my own thing and he learns to do his own thing too.
  • Visit family - sometimes we visit my parents or my grandparents and this is a nice, social thing to do for free. (Usually includes coffee and biscuits and allows me a bit of relief from entertaining Ben!)
  • We have a play park nearby and Ben could spend hours there if I let him. We have a nice walk together there and I sit and watch him play or help him on the apparatus and then we have a walk back together. Sometimes we pop into the library next door to the park too.
I try and do something everyday with Benjamin. This isn't to live my life around him but sometimes it's more for me to ensure we get out and keep him occupied otherwise we would both get bored! The other time during the week I will be doing jobs such as having an afternoon cleaning where Ben pretends to help or doing the food shopping.

I believe it is all about utilising what you have around you whilst you are on a budget. Feeling glum because you can't afford that meal and night out on Friday? Pop on a DVD from your pile that you haven't seen in a while, cook up something you fancy (far cheaper at home) and buy a bag of pop corn for £1 in most supermarkets. You won't regret saving that £60+.
If I have a day with no-one to see and nothing to do, I make sure I do some jobs around the house I've been meaning to do but haven't got round to doing.
If I need a bit of relaxation I run a warm bath and indulge myself for a while.
If I have an hour whilst Ben is asleep I read my book or carry on with my sewing projects.
If I am fed up with my clothes or lack of, I organise my wardrobe and rearrange it all to remember what I have and refresh what I could put each item with.
If I can't afford to have my eyebrows waxed at a salon I spend an hour with the tweezers perfecting them myself.

It's amazing where you can save money even when you have a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment