Monday 10 November 2014

The Best Version of Me

On my new journey of self discovery, it became clear that one of the reasons people decide to change their lifestyle is in order to enlighten the best possible versions of themselves.

Not only am I interested in the food side of things, I am increasingly becoming enticed into the idea of nourishing the soul by meditation/yoga.

I often hear (not always but often) the secret to reaching a ripe old age and still being active and well is to partake in regular low impact exercises such as walking/swimming, eat sensibly and having a positive outlook on life. I know it is easier said than done but these are really simple, easy steps to take in order to be a better you.


From Pinterest

I have been reading (again!) Sarah Wilson - I Quit Sugar and I really like her theory. I quote:

'Exercise less - It's a controversial idea, but hear me out. Humans didn't evolve to blitz and pump and boot camp themselves silly in a gym and there's no evolutionary purpose to running marathons. Outrunning a sabre-toothed tiger for 2-3 hours was never going to be an accomplishable feat, we evolved to feed our energy to our brains so we could outsmart said tiger.'

I really like this motto, or as Sarah calls it part of her wellness code, not because I am lazy but because it totally makes sense. I mean, what do marathons and Ironman's prove really? That you can push your body to its absolute limit until it can take no more?

Anyway, I am an absolute beginner of meditation (and probably not even doing it right!) but I take 5 minutes (that's what I'm starting with) every morning between Luke leaving for work and Ben waking up and lie in bed. I start from my head and try to relax each muscle working my way down my body until I feel my body loosen up. I then imagine a space, a piece of heaven in my mind such as walking on a warm beach and try to experience all the sensations. I try to feel the warm sand beneath my toes and the sun beating down. And then I imagine floating in the warm sea and drifting my hands through the water.
Just 5 minutes of this before coming back to reality can make you feel so much better starting off your day.

You don't have to do this in the morning, you can do it whenever you feel is best for you. I read that some people take 5-10 minutes in their lunch break or prefer doing it in the evening. Whichever you choose, it is best to repeat at the same time every day. Also you can choose to lie down (I am because I am 37 weeks pregnant currently and feel more comfortable doing so) or you can sit in the lotus position (legs crossed) or kneel. This is really all I know so far but it shows that anyone can do this.

You probably want more reasons as to why you would take this into your daily routine so here are a few:
  • Stress reduction - not only does meditation give you some down time for however long you decide, it also has a direct effect on reducing cortisol, the body's stress related hormone. By meditating in the morning, you can decide what you want from your day before it has fully began.
  • Happiness - Meditation can increase serotonin levels (mood enhancing hormone) and allows you to have a happier outlook on life.
  • Improved sleep - One of the best natural remedies for insomnia, meditation can clear the busy mind that keeps you awake at night allowing you to get that full nights sleep.
  • Boost Energy - Because meditation gives you time away from all the stimulation in your day it allows you to have more control, feel less rushed and reenergised.
  • Increase immunity - if you feel a cold coming on or everyone at work has a bug going round, by taking time out of your day to build up your defence and research shows it boosts antibodies to fight off nasty viruses and bacteria.
This is what I have learnt so far and I think there are numerous other benefits from meditation but I haven't been doing this long at all. Just think, something so simple is so effective. Why are we not all doing this?!


From Pinterest

I personally don't have a specific reason to meditate but the overall idea is I want to boost the best version of me so why not give it a go for yourself?

Linds xx

No comments:

Post a Comment