Monday 26 January 2015

Sweet Tooth

I don't claim to be sugar free however I am being careful not to consume any refined sugar and even with natural sugars I have cut down an awful lot.

However, sometimes you just need something sweet. I was the biggest pudding person and I always had to have biscuits with my coffee so how was I going to be able to curb those cravings? Here are a few ideas.

(Remember these can be enjoyed as a treat)

1) Power balls
Okay so these are coconut and raw cacao power balls but if you search the internet you can find so  many delicious combinations. Check out Deliciously Ella, she has loads. Because they are usually made with dates, a walnut sized ball is enough to give you that sweet hit without over indulging.



2) Apple Rings


Kids and Adults love these snacks. If you have an abundance of apples or some apples going past their best, slice them into thin rings (a few mm thick) and soak them in a bowl with water and a squeeze of lemon juice to stop them discolouring. Then, pat them dry and arrange the apple rings on baking trays and sprinkle with your choice of cinnamon, ginger or nutmeg. Bake them for an hour at 90 degrees then turn them over and bake them for a further hour. Store in an airtight container.

3) Yogurt, fruit and almond butter.



So I am dairy free where I can be but as the odd treat (because I do love and miss it) I buy a pot of organic natural yogurt, defrost some frozen berries and add a dollop of almond butter. Sometimes it's nice to have a sprinkle of cinnamon too.

4) Banana Bread


A great way to use some over ripe bananas mixed with yogurt, wholemeal self raising flour and poppy seeds. So moist and a thin slice is really satisfying.

5) Healthy Hot Choc


Almond milk, raw cacao, maple/date syrup. You can also add a dollop of almond butter and melt it into the mixture. So warming on these cold evenings.

Enjoy!


2 comments: