Saturday 24 January 2015

Break the Fast

 
I learnt something really interesting in my new Hemsley and Hemsley book I received for Christmas. Everyone harps on about breakfast being the most important meal of the day and I personally can't go very long once I've woken up without eating as I start to feel sick. But for those of you that feel sick at the thought of eating in the morning, really ought to understand why it's crucial you at least try and get something down you. 
I never realised that breakfast means breaking fast. Sometimes when you've known a word for so long you don't think about it and it's meaning, silly as it sounds. It means breaking the fast from the night before and refuelling your body with energy for the day ahead. 

Since I've been on my new lifestyle change breakfast has become a very exciting time for me. As I've stopped eating anything after my dinner at night, breakfast is the next thing to look forward to. (Not that I'm so much of a pig that I can't stop thinking about food, but when you're tummy is rumbling it's nice to have something tasty to look forward to!) 
I'm enjoying spending the evening before, browsing inspiration from my cookbooks or favourite websites and choosing and preparing a breakfast for the following morning. 

I know people think that's a lot of effort but now I have a 3 year old and a 7 week old baby and have to be at nursery for 9 in the morning, I need to have everything prepared ready in order for me not to resort to those deadly cereal boxes.


This morning I used a recipe from my Hemsley and Hemsley book called Acai Berry Smoothie Bowl. It's a blend of acai berry powder, coconut oil, coconut water, frozen berries, dates, banana and avocado and you can use any toppings you fancy. 

I must admit it took me a while to get used to cold breakfasts, I'm a fan of warm porridge, and acknowledging it will be amazing for a hot summers morning, it is super tasty I can't get enough of it. Before I have breakfast I always have a warm mug of water and lemon to start off with so I feel I'm compensating for the lack of warmth! 

Today I topped mine with bee pollen, chia seeds, flax seeds, strawberries and blueberries. 

I believe if you start the day of healthy, you will continue the day being healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment