Monday 30 December 2013

A rich life through simple pleasures!

As we are heading into a New Year it is most natural to think about what I want out of 2014. This year I don't want to set myself unrealistic goals like 'lose x amount of weight' or 'stop eating chocolate' because I never stick to them. I also think why should the 1st of January be THE day to decide to change when it could be anytime. 
I just want to reinforce a few simple 'rules' to live by to ensure a rich life at a time when we have little money due to saving for a house -
  • LOVE - Sounds simple but give time to your children and invest in them. Teach them new things, read them new books from the library, walk with them to the park, talk to them endlessly about funny stories and interesting facts. Listen to your partner, your mum and your sister. Help them out when they are in need.
  • REMEMBER the value of money - I once was a very materialistic person when I was living at home and earning a good salary in my career. I bought my first BMW 1 series at the age of 18 and only shopped at high end stores such as Reiss and Ted Baker. I didn't save a bean. When I look back now I realise how foolish it was but I was young and didn't know. I'm so grateful for this stepping stone in my life where I did fall pregnant when I did and moved into our first rental home. I really understand the value of money now. 
  • BECOME less materialistic - I am the worst for browsing online stores such as Topshop, Joules, eBay etc but I've thought about the past couple of shopping trips I've had where I've bought a couple of hundred pounds worth of clothes (a hundred doesn't get you much when you need a few new bits) and by the next week you've forgotten about everything you've bought and just feel that depressing feeling of the money slipping out of your bank account. I am now all for investing in a few key items which are good quality and that I know will last.
  • LESS technology - I know that sounds funny as I write an online blog. What I mean is less of spending hours aimlessly browsing facebook or twitter (we all do it!) Last year I had two weeks where my computer was in for a repair and it was the most productive two weeks of my life! I have never been a huge fan of sitting in front of the telly (mostly because there is nothing good on!) and I know of a couple of people now that have gotten rid of their telly. Slightly drastic for me with Benjamin as he might have cbeebies withdrawal but I'm seriously thinking of investing in a radio!
  • KEEP the mind busy, keep it learning, keep it inspired by things. I can't stop wanting to learn new things. I want to bake bread, I want to knit, I want to sew a quilt, I want to explore parts of the UK I've never been to before and I want to read so many books. I am one of those people who never get bored on a day off and I could happily not go to work and keep myself busy.

Do you have any 'rules' that you like to stick by and remember throughout the year?

Bye for now x

1 comment:

  1. Definitely get yourself a radio. I was lucky enough to receive a DAB radio as a gift a few Christmases ago and it resides in my kitchen. It's always on when I'm in there, whether it listening to music, a sporting event or a heated discussion, you can't beat it. xx

    ReplyDelete