Monday 15 September 2014

The Scarecrows' Wedding by Julia Donaldson Review


As many of us mum's do, I love Julia Donaldson's books and I Ben couldn't wait for the latest instalment. Sometimes the bed time routine can become a bit tedious with some of the kids books out their but at least her books try to give the parents a giggle too!

The book follows Betty and Harry the scarecrows on their quest to plan the best wedding yet. But what happens when Harry goes for a walk to find some flowers and doesn't return? And the Farmer comes to the field and puts up a new, swanky scarecrow called Reginald Rake...

The rhyming is brilliant and we read this about 5 times on the first day we received it. It is still the only book Ben wants to read at bedtime so for that reason I'd give it 5 stars.

There has been a fair bit of criticism due to the reference of Reginald Rake lighting up a cigar. Although children do see people smoking most days walking in the street or with family, its not something I approve of or want my child exposed to whilst they are innocent and just want to enjoy a book. I'm aware that the reader is told it is a bad thing to do when he lights up the cigar and then drops it, setting him on fire but I just think surely Julia could have written something else into the rhyme to have the same effect.

This still won't stop us reading the book as the rest is brilliant and I will continue to purchase these books.

Linds x

No comments:

Post a Comment